Tales from the Sea Garden

Tales from The Sea Garden

Email me: theseagarden@btinternet.com

Saturday 1 October 2016

Mid-Century and Vintage Fair


Button cards I've made up in readiness for the Mid-Century and Vintage Fair taking place next weekend, where Angelica and I are stalling out; should be a laugh! We've been sorting through all our vintage clothes and we'll be bringing quite a selection of mostly 40's and 50's fashion......

including these exuberant waist pinnies - they knew how to make housework fun!


Angelica made this dress above following a 1947 pattern, and used fabric from the 1950's to make it. A very easy-to wear comfortable style. 

 Some French linen chemises from an earlier time, with exquisite hand-embroidery around the neckline.

These can easily be dyed to whatever colour you fancy, and make very comfortable tops to wear over jeans or leggings. I have several of my own; in fact I'm wearing one now that I dyed palest blue!


I picked up this wonderful original late 40's drawing from a Parisian fashion house at a recent fair; the nipped in waist and the flared skirt so typical of the 'New Look' coming out then. Have any of you been watching the Amazon Original series 'The Collection' lately? It follows the story of a fictional fashion house emerging after the Second World War with just such a look. The series showcases some amazing clothes but there's also a more sinister undercurrent of dodgy goings-on behind the scenes.

 Possibly a little earlier is this ink on paper textile design that I also found recently. I love the contrast between the jet black background and the scarlet and blue flowers. Painted by a very accomplished hand, with skilled use of wet-in-wet technique where the inks bleed into each other. I have used this technique on some of my own textile designs, enjoying what happens when you drop water from a brush onto the wet ink and the colour spreads. 



 This lovely silk scarf designed by Oliver Messel to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977 will be on my stand at the fair next Saturday and Sunday.


At the centre is the Royal Coronation Coach and in the four corners, the national flowers of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

The Mid-Century and Vintage Fair takes place at The Bedruthan Steps Hotel at Mawgan Porth near Newquay, North Cornwall, on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th October, 10am - 4pm. You can book your FREE tickets in advance by clicking here. There will be 3 floors filled with Mid-Century collectables and retro furniture, fashion, beauty, lighting, vintage homewares and items fashioned from vintage materials. You can't afford to miss it (if only to see Angelica in her 50's hat and retro glasses ha-ha!)
xxx

4 comments:

  1. Hello Christine,

    Such a beautiful collection of buttons!

    The Parisian drawing is lovely too. What a great find. :)

    Kind regards,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so lovely. I love your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine! I just want to say I LOVE your blog! Thank you for sharing all these adorable things. Ilana.

    ReplyDelete